Mastopexy, also known as breast lift surgery, can give your breast a more youthful and attractive appearance. Keep reading to learn more about this procedure and find out if it is a good option for you.
A mastopexy is a procedure that is used to lift and reshape sagging breasts in order to give them a more attractive, youthful, and perky appearance.
In many cases mastopexy is used to correct changes that result from loss of skin elasticity, pregnancy, breast-feeding, weight fluctuations, and aging. During the procedure, excess skin is removed and underlying tissue is tightened. When needed, some contouring will also be done to improve the shape of the breasts.
Who is a good candidate?
If one of the following statements applies to you, you may be a good candidate for a breast lift:
- You are a healthy weight and you do not smoke
- Your breasts have lost firmness or shape
- Your breasts sag or your nipples point down
- Your nipples fall below the crease of the breast without the support of a bra
- One breast is lower than another
- Your breasts have a flat or elongated shape
- You feel that your breasts have changed due to pregnancy, weight loss, or breast-feeding.
Although this procedure is beneficial for many women, it isn’t always best for everyone. The following people may want to consider an alternative procedure:
- People who have very large breasts that sag or droop because of size. In this case, a patient may want to consider breast reduction to relieve strain from the back and give breasts a more youthful, natural appearance.
- People who have small breasts. A breast lift alone won’t increase the size of your breasts, so if you’d like larger breasts, it may be wise to combine a breast lift with a breast augmentation.
- People who aren’t done having children can still undergo a breast lift, but since pregnancy and breast-feeding can significantly affect the shape, size and appearance of breasts, many women wait until after they are done having children.
If you’d like to learn more about mastopexy and other procedures that can enhance your appearance, schedule a consultation at Core Plastic Surgery.